Studio One Eleven is an award winning, mission-oriented design firm based in Long Beach. We create more livable, sustainable & engaging cities. We believe architects, urban designers, and planners play a crucial role in city making and that we have a responsibility to craft our built environment in ways that support our collective well-being. Our Urban Design team is seeking an Urban Design Intern to assist with several tactical urbanism projects throughout Southern California. We are looking for someone who is excited to gain hands-on experience designing and installing temporary pop-up projects, working with communities to advance walkability, livability, and sustainability at the neighborhood scale.
The ideal candidate is a self-managed individual, who thrives in a fast-paced environment, and is comfortable taking ownership of assigned tasks.
- Support the physical fabrication of simple objects such as seating, shade, and artistic installations
- Support the Urban Design team with the design, production, and staffing of tactical urbanism projects (will include some weekend work)
- Conduct site reviews, background research, stakeholder outreach, surveys and interviews
- Produce briefing documents, maps, and graphics in support of presentations/reports for clients and internal use
Desired Skills & Educations
- Currently enrolled in Architecture, Urban Design, Urban Planning, Landscape Architecture, or other related degree program
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and AutoCAD or SketchUp
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and help out with fabrication and installation
- Ability to conduct research and communicate findings graphically, verbally, and in writing
- Possess the initiative and organizational skills required to manage multiple, complex tasks and deadlines
Studio One Eleven offers course credit, a $16 hourly rate, and requires a time commitment of at least 20 hours per week. Work will be performed at both our Long Beach and Los Angeles offices - we will work with you to create a flexible work schedule. Ability to work on some weekends is required. All candidates should have legal work status in the United States. Studio One Eleven is an Equal Opportunity Employer.