Chapman Market

Location: Los Angeles, CA
Organized around a central automobile court, Chapman Plaza opened in 1929 as the first “drive-through” market building in the City of Los Angeles.

Designed by Morgan, Walls, and Clements in an ornate Spanish Revival style, the Plaza has evolved into a focal point of dining and entertainment in the City’s thriving Koreatown neighborhood.

For this restoration, Studio One Eleven carefully refurbished the center through tactical façade, lighting, signage and landscape improvements.

As an important historic landmark, the interventions were required to maintain all character-defining features of the existing buildings, while opening up opportunities for new tenants and creating moments of relaxation and pedestrian amenity amongst the bustle of the City’s most dynamic community.