Client: Howard CDM
The JCPenney store in Bellflower operated between 1952 and 1979. Originally part of Bellflower’s Main Street corridor, this section of Bellflower Boulevard was bifurcated in 1965 by the construction of the 91 Freeway, causing it to gradually decline. The completion of several nearby regional malls during this time accelerated that demise. In recent decades, the store was abandoned and fell into disrepair.
The Exchange adapts the 1952 JC Penny store at 17434 Bellflower Boulevard into creative office, co-working and food-maker space.
The 41,000-square-foot Exchange houses the new headquarters for Howard CDM on the third floor, a co-working facility on the existing mezzanine and a brewery/restaurant to be announced soon at the ground level.
A new mezzanine was constructed at the front of the building to provide private dining with an outdoor patio visible from the street.
The public/private venture also includes street improvements, including traffic calming, to bring economic vitality to the neighborhood.